Cryogenic storage of sperm can be an essential component in the treatment of a couple's infertility. Sperm can be frozen without damaging them or their ability to regain function when thawed and sperm can be frozen indefinitely.
Indications for sperm cryogenic storage include:
- Prior to elective sterilization (vasectomy)
- Fertility preservation in severe oligospermia
- Fertility preservation prior to treatment for malignancies
- In conjunction with advanced sperm retrieval procedures
- In conjunction with vasectomy reversal surgery